Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Runaways (2010) Red Box Reviews

Director: Floria Sigismondi

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning & Michael Shannon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1017451/

Well, this movie is about the all girl rock group The Runaways, which spawned heavy hitters Lita Ford & Joan Jett. This is my second time to see the film. I hated it the first time, and decided to give it a second go round. It's based on the book by their former lead singer Cherie Currie. I haven't read the book, so I can't tell you if it's like that or not. I can tell you it's a complete load of crap. Boring as hell. I am a huge fan of music biopics. I'm a musician. I love the history. I love knowing about a bands formation and demise. Where they actually come from. This film seemed to be more about Joan Jett & Cherie Currie making out and doing drugs than anything else, which may be enough for some people... but it wasn't for me.

I could talk about what this film has but instead I'll tell you what it didn't have. It didn't have anything on Lita, which from my understanding she didn't like it and didn't want to be a part of the film so they pretty much wrote her out. It didn't have anything on their bassists, several which went on to do some pretty awesome things. It also didn't put any focus on the band after Cherie left, which went on for at least two more albums if memory serves me.

Bonus features weren't much either. A 15 minute making of featurette with interviews with the actors, producers and Cherie. It was cool to find out Joan Jett was pretty much there on the set with Kristen Stewart the whole time helping her along. Dakota Fanning's interviews still freak me out though... she's so fake it's ungodly. Also one commentary track with Joan Jett, Kristen Stewart & Dakota Fanning. Getting to hear Joan through the movie is the only thing that made this salvageable for me.


Verdict: * * 1/2

- Xtoph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...