Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tron: Legacy ( 2010 )

Starring:  Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, & Beau Garrett

Directed By Joseph Kosinski

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/


     It doesn't matter if you're 6 or 90, there is something for everybody in Tron: Legacy.  Reading all of the so called "critics" reviews you would swear that this was the new Ishtar.  Why?  Because this isn't a Fern Gully rip off with blue monkeys?  Look people, this is NOT Avatar.  Tron: Legacy is better, and has a TON of heart unlike Avatar.  Plus, this isn't a remake.  It's a sequel that took over 20 years to make.  And I for one am very happy the studio took it's time, and yes it shows.

     The story itself wasn't too contrived or bland,  it actually flowed well, and kept me in my seat.  Sam Flynn, the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn, looks into his father's disappearance and finds himself pulled into the same world of fierce programs and gladiatorial games where his father has been living for 20 years. Along with Kevin's loyal confidant, father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous.

     Nearly everything about Tron: Legacy was epic.  The CGI for the Cyber Universe was amazing.  Having Daft Punk doing the score really added to the feel of the characters and the world they resided in.  The highlight(s) for me was the revised light cycles and CLU 2.0.  First off The light Cycles were awesome to behold on a big screen.  These newer ones were more agile and seemed to flow at a hypnotic pace.  I often caught myself drooling over the races, and was applauded for letting my inner geek show. 

     CLU 2.0 should be given a lot of credit.  To take a younger Jeff Bridges face, and work it like a puppet to perfection on a digital level, AND make him a main character was epic!  I've viewed this movie twice now, and am still amazed at how good of a job the animators did.  Kudos to all of you involved with CLU 2.0, your hard work shows.  At times you have to shake your head and go "damn, that's awesome".

     I guess if I had any complaint against Tron: Legacy, it would be against the 3D.  I really didn't see the need to add it, because for the most part the movie was 2D and really didn't need to be in 3D.  That's it though, just that small gripe.  As a fan for the original Tron I give this movie my utmost respect and admiration. I saw the First one as a kid in a Drive in, Then as an adult I was very lucky to see the sequel in a theater.  I just hope it doesn't take 20+ years to film another addition to the possible franchise.

     Do yourself a favor, and go see this movie.

Mr. What? ( * * * * )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...