Friday, October 2, 2009

Whip It ( 2009 )

Starring: Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Ali Shawkat, Sarah Habel, & Shannon Eagen

Written by Shauna Cross

Directed by Drew Barrymore

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172233/


  SOOOOOOOOO What happens when an actress losing her shine decides to direct a movie? The result is Whip It. I for one thought it sucked. Not because of the story, or acting, but the direction and some shots just fell flat. It reminded me of a pg-13 version of Rollerball. Yeah, A lot of us know about the Womens Rollerball league and the history on that, but this version just seems to be way too much bubble gum and Revlon color stay. If Miss Drew really wanted to make this an epic smash, she would’ve made this a very hard PG-13. I felt that with a touch more of adult content this film would’ve gotten a solid 4 stars.


  So our story goes as this……In Bodeen, Texas, an indie-rock loving misfit ( Page ) finds a way of dealing with her small-town misery after she discovers a roller derby league in nearby Austin. AWWWWWWWW so little miss EX- Pagent Contestant in a small town now wants to throw elbows, sweat, Roller skate, and feel all adult. Good God Thankfully I’m not Diabetic, or I would’ve gone into shock in my seat. Really? This movie is nothing more than a chance for Ellen Page to shed the Juno tag, and nothing else. I felt that as a film reviewer my mind had turned to baby shit and was leaking outta my ears.


  If you’re a Parent and want to treat your kid to a semi chucked up movie, then this would be for you. My other complaint is Miss Drew’s constant attention to the 1970’s. Charlies Angels was OK for a Late 90’s summer blockbuster. But it’s 10 years later, and a lot of the world really doesn’t care to see yet another disgruntled Indie kid trying to make it in the world full of catch phrases and snarky attitude. In all I would sum it up by saying this movie was an Epic FAIL, but was funny to see Juno get put on her ass…..Where’s Bleaker now when you need him Juno?

Overall Rating ( * ½ )

Mr. What?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...